- When using a WBU Tail Prop Suet Feeder (or any suet cake in a cage), leave the suet cake in the molded plastic dish to force birds to feed on the side facing your viewing window. This also keeps the feeder a bit cleaner.
- Are starlings hogging your suet? Our EcoTough® Upside-down Suet Feeder allows clinging birds such as woodpeckers, nuthatches, and chickadees to feed from below, but makes it difficult for starlings.
- Soften suet plugs in the microwave before pressing them into the holes of a suet log. Make sure the suet is pressing against the sides of the holes so it doesn't get pushed out the other side!
TIPS FOR GROUND-FEEDING BIRDS
- Ground-feeding birds, such as juncos are more abundant during winter. Winter finches like redpolls also readily feed on the ground. You can offer food to these birds in trays, whether on the ground, on a pole system beneath a hopper, or on your window.
- Offer ground-feeding birds a blend with millet and sunflower seeds, like our seasonal Winter Blend.
- Place a ground tray feeder close enough to shrubs to provide birds a safe place to hide and to find shelter from winter weather, but far enough away that predators (like cats) can't ambush the birds.
- Use a WBU EcoClean® or Quick-Clean® Finch feeder and refill it from the bottom! This helps prevent clumping and promotes "first in/first out" seed rotation.
- Give your finch feeders a shake every now and then to make sure the seed inside is loose and dry.
- Place your finch feeders away from feeders where larger birds are feeding. This allows the smaller finches to access the feeder without feeling intimidated by larger birds. I have a whole separate finch feeding station off a deck arm.
- It may take goldfinches a while to get used to a new feeder, even if you have previously fed them in the same location.
- If you notice finches waiting to eat, offer a perch (like our APS Decorative Branch perch) that allows them to perch. You'll see them better as they wait!
Adapted from material provided by WBU, Inc.
Images from WBU, Inc. image library