Bats can sometimes get a bad reputation, but before we judge them, here are three really big benefits that bats provide:Pest control
- They eat millions and millions of night-flying insects
- They help control agricultural pests - farmers love the work bats do!
- Bats help ensure production of seeds and fruit - again, the farmer's friend!
- They improve genetic diversity
- If you love bananas, or avocados, or peaches, or cashews - thank bats. These foods depend on pollination by bats
- Bats help to restore lost or damaged rainforest
- They are more effective seed dispersers than birds
So give bats a break. Learn about them and learn to protect them. Add a bat box. Do whatever you can to help these beneficial creatures of the night.
Here's a couple videos of Mexican Free-tailed Bats as they emerge from Bracken Cave in Texas.
Video by Nancy Castillo
Facts Source: Bat Conservation International