Another year under our belt here at Wild Birds Unlimited - Saratoga Springs NY! In 2010, we completed our 7th year in business and want to share the highlights of the year:
- As mentioned in our Year in Review 2009, an unprecented drop in bird activity that started in September 2009 continued through the early months of 2010. The nesting season helped feeders get busy again and we heard many good reports of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (first time in yard reports), Indigo Buntings (at feeders all summer), woodpeckers and Carolina Wrens (busy at feeders), and hummingbirds (outrageous activity in August). Feeder activity as I write this is normal to slightly-below-normal as we await the widespread arrival of Common Redpolls.
- We attended the Saratoga Springs Rotary Home & Garden Show for the 6th year. We'll return to our old booth G1 in the new City Center for this year's show February 25-27, 2011.
- Saratoga Springs residents submitted 61 checklists to the 2010 Great Backyard Bird Count, 7th highest in the entire state. Surrounding cities and towns also had respectable counts. 46 local checklists were submitted by WBU-Saratoga Springs customers.
- In June, we had a collection box and held a garage sale to benefit the International Bird Rescue Research Center. This organization was a leader in recovering birds impacted by the Gulf oil spill. With our personal contribution added in, we were able to donate $500 to adopt a pelican on behalf of the Customers of Wild Birds Unlimited - Saratoga Springs NY to support IBRRC's efforts around the globe.
- We pledged a portion of store sales over our Anniversary Weekend in August to benefit our local wildlife rehabilitators, North Country Wild Care. Lois and Peg presented a $300 check to the organization at their September fundraiser.
- For the 3rd year, we were a major sponsor of the Great Adirondack Birding Celebration held at Paul Smith's Visitor Interpretive Center. Despite changes at the VIC due to budget cuts, the GABC will go on June 3-5, 2011 - try to attend and look for us there!
- We continue to be a leader in spreading the message about Bird-Friendly® shade grown coffee by Birds & Beans™. Following our lead (we were the first Wild Birds Unlimited shop in the country to carry Birds & Beans coffee), over 40 WBU shops in the US and Canada now carry it for their customers.
- Everyone loves new products for the birds, and in 2010 we introduced two great lines: EcoClean™ feeders featuring antimicrobial product protection and our line of Birdacious birdfood including Nutty for Nuts and Bug Berry Blends and Stackables. And (News Flash) watch for a new Bark Butter product in early 2011!!
Looking back gives us a chance to say THANK YOU to all of you who frequent our little shop. In doing so, you have helped us succeed and have made Wild Birds Unlimited - Saratoga Springs NY one of the best little birdfeeding hobby shops in the whole country!