I haven't been at home much to watch birds but have noticed that the goldfinches are starting to molt into their breeding plumage.
American Goldfinch male beginning spring molt
- Male will replace the pale yellow winter plumage with bright yellow plumage
- A black cap will develop on his forehead
- Females will replace their very pale yellow winter plumage with a gray yellow plumage
- The bill of both the male and female will turn pinkish-orange
- Adult goldfinches molt twice a year
- Even though they molt in early spring, goldfinches are amongst the latest nesters (late August to early October in our area)
How far along are your goldfinches in their spring molt?